Harrison & Burrowes Bridge Constructors, Inc. has been one of the top bridge contractors in New York State for more than 40 years. Headquartered in Glenmont, New York, just south of Albany, H&B sits on twelve acres and employs more than 150 full time and seasonal employees during the peak of construction season.
H&B has demolished, constructed, and rehabilitated hundreds of bridges throughout New York and other neighboring states. An award-winning firm, H&B has built an excellent reputation and has completed some of the most challenging projects both on schedule and under budget. From new construction of large spans and complex designs in high volume urban areas, to rural county bridges and spans over water, H&B’s services include complete bridge replacement, bridge and bearing rehabilitation and replacement, and steel sheeting and pile driving on land and in water.
Job Site Safety Officer in Syracuse, NY. The successful candidate will be an important member of the construction management team reporting directly to the Superintendent and Project Manager and working closely with the Corporate Safety Director.
- Advise employees at safety meetings in conjunction with local front-line managers on key subjects related to incidents, accidents and near misses that occur.
- Observe and assist on Health and Safety programs which address regulatory requirements, corporate initiatives, and behavioral training.
- Support training for employees on topics related to daily work activities and incident trends on a regular basis.
- Complete new hire and subcontractor safety orientations
- Conduct site inspections, audits, and risk assessments.
- Coordinate with 3rd party safety inspection company.
- Assure all the employees are acting in adherence with work rules, policies, and procedures.
- Schedule onsite and offsite inspections of facilities, machinery, equipment, and jobsites where drivers may be exposed during daily work activity to ensure compliance with state and federal safety and health regulations as well as company policies and procedures.
- Prepare written reports regarding inspections, audits and observation findings with recommended corrective action which adhere to Federal, State and Corporate guidelines.
- Investigate all onsite and offsite accidents including vehicular accidents to ascertain root cause and support local management on implementing corrective action to eliminate reoccurrence of incident or accidents.
- Prepare written investigative reports for all onsite and offsite workplace accidents including vehicular accidents with recommendations for corrective actions.
- Responsible for reporting all investigation information to Safety Director for prompt claims reporting.
- Ensure proper signage and required notices are posted properly at facilities including but not limited to Speed Limits, Safety directives and protocols, OSHA and environmental postings, Safety reminders and Department of Labor required postings.
- Conduct inspections, audits, follow up of incidents and accidents as directed by the Safety Director.
- Procure Project Safety equipment and PPE for employees
- Must have active driver’s license and reliable vehicle.
- Safety Certifications and experience preferred.
- Familiarity with machinery, vehicles, and other equipment.
- Previous work experience as a site safety officer. NYSDOT experience is preferred.
- Ability to review and interpret governmental regulations.
- Must be self-starter, able to create and manage a schedule without being instructed.
- Must be able to interact and develop a positive culture and relationship with field employees.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software.
- Must be able to work flexible schedule to meet deadlines.
Harrison & Burrowes (H&B) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. H&B does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.